The M.D. Martin Carriage Works was formed in West York, Pennsylvania in 1890. By the turn of the century, Martin and the George W. Hoover and Sons were the region’s largest builders. Both firms would later play a role in the region’s automobile and commercial body manufacturing business.
The emergence of the motor truck, and in particular, the International High-Wheeler did not go unnoticed by Martin. They introduced a ½-ton high-wheeled truck in 1909 designed by Edward C. Kraft (formerly of Hart Kraft), that was powered by a 16hp 2-cylinder engine that delivered power its rear wheels via a planetary transmission and chain drive. A re-designed ½ -ton to 6-ton COE debuted in 1911 powered by a choice of either a 29- or 66-hp Wisconsin 4-clinder engine. The 2-cylinder Martin was discontinued in 1913 and the 4-cylinder chassis became the all-new Atlas truck in 1916.